1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 pound lean ground turkey
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 Tsp kosher salt
1 Tsp garlic powder
1/2 Tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tsp chipotle chili pepper
2 Tsp cumin
3 small or 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 1 pound)
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 12-oz beer or substitute additional low-sodium chicken stock
2 – 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
Optional: For serving: cilantro, avocado, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, and sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium high.
2. Add the turkey, onion, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Cook and stir, breaking up the turkey as you go, until the turkey is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the chili powder, chipotle chili powder, and cumin, then transfer to the bottom a large slow cooker.
4. To the slow cooker, add the chopped sweet potatoes, quinoa, beer, 2 cups chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, and black beans.
5. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours, until the potatoes are tender. Stir in additional chicken stock if the chili is thicker than you would like.
6. Serve warm with desired toppings.